Monday, March 28

Unintended Consequences

I don't read the news much these days. Too much to do and think about in my own little realm to raise my blood pressure over the debacles on the world stage, though my handsome husband keeps me updated on the big stuff.

I read over his shoulder this morning an article about the Democrats (and a few lily-livered Republicans) being annoyed that many "tea-party backed" Republicans in congress are holding their ground on refusing to extend the already enormously inflated budget. This could potentially cause parts of the government to shut down.

What I found much more fascinating were the skeins of unintended consequences few people seem to be really paying attention to. There are mentions of things like de-funding Planned Parenthood, the Democrats' efforts to raid accounts not usually open to them like farm subsidies and the pulling of money from the national food inspection program, but no one really seems to think through those possibilities.

I'm all for de-funding Planned Parenthood - one can only hope that they don't get re-funded if/when Congress tries to put together next year's budget.

Farm subsidies? Do you realize that cutting farm subsidies would radically reshape the face of American food production?! Don't get me wrong, I think after that initial agonizing crunch of adjustment it would be phenomenal, but I don't think people really understand even a fraction of what it would entail. No farm subsidies means, among many other things, no cheap corn. Ergo, no cheap HFCS. That, in turn, means the cost of nearly every processed food and soft drink will skyrocket through the roof! I'll let you ponder the impact of such an event, though I will say it should do great things to improve the nation's battle with obesity and prove to be an excellent boon for local foodies. :0)

As for stripping money from the national food inspection program, I highly recommend that - unless you're buying food locally or from highly conscientious suppliers already - you start eying everything you buy as a potentially hazardous substance and handle/cook it accordingly. Last time I checked the figures (I am a nationally certified food safety trainer, incidentally) the percentage of US food that was actually being inspected was in the single digits - and the actual inspection procedures are often little more than a perfunctory stamp on the appropriate piece of paper. Our food supply is hardly safe now and if inspections fall it will be even less so. If you're not already fastidious about your food, now is a good time to start!

Let us hope and pray that that brave men and women we sent to Congress to cut spending and fix our financial mess hold their ground - and let us prepare to steadfastly hold ours in the face of whatever consequences result!

Stand my ground, I won't give in
No more denying, I've got to face it
Won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
If I don't make it, someone else will
Stand my ground

- Within Temptation, Stand My Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment