Friday, March 25

Good Marketing for Bad Ideas

I usually avoid iVillage, but I was looking up a recipe this morning and saw a link I had to click on - "Which is Worse? Showdown in the Frozen Foods Aisle". I knew it was going to give me a headache, but I had to read it anyway.

The basic idea was to pair two awful frozen foods against each other and have a nutritionist explain which one was the better choice and why. Needless to say I only made it through the second pairing before I quit reading in disgust.

Really, with crap this processed, it's like choosing between cyanide and arsenic: they're both going to kill you, so you may as well just pick whichever one tastes better and not bother pretending to care about nutrition. Seriously, who cares about a 2 gram difference in fiber or transfats when both options are stuffed to the gills with refined sugars, neurotoxins, endocrine disruptors and hydrogenated oils?

I give the writers credit for a great marketing job - big, clear pictures, engaging style, and a certified nutritionist to themselves clout. But I will never be able to wrap my head around why people bother to split hairs over their processed junk. Either accept that good nutrition does not come in pre-processed, instant, imitation-food form and start making some appropriate lifestyle adjustments or just don't bother at all.

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty ridiculous, isn't it? People want to know what to feed their kids, and a nutritionist gives them choices like that? No wonder our poor kids are screwed up. Thanks for the informative, though frustrating, review!

    ReplyDelete