Monday, October 8

Menu Idea Monday: Sauerkraut, Sausage & Apples

Photo from Food.com
A neighbour of ours ferments his own sauerkraut every year from cabbage he grows in his garden. When he offered us some, we gladly took it. I didn't mention that I have never liked sauerkraut.

So on night that I wasn't going to be home for dinner, I prepped a new dish I found online called Smoked Sausage, Apples and Sauerkraut to leave for my husband who does happen to like sauerkraut.

When I opened the jar my neighbour had given us, I noticed that it didn't smell at all like what I was used to. It smelled distinctly sweeter, and I braved a bite. It was delicious! Apparently, my boys agreed because there was not a single bite left of the dish when I got home.

Clearly, we will be planting a bunch of cabbage next year and then I will be headed down the street to learn the fine art of fermenting from an expert.

This was extremely simple to make, didn't take very long, and reheated beautifully in a cast iron skillet stuck in the oven for twenty minutes. It will become a staple around here, and I encourage you to try it!

(If you don't have any apple juice in the house, just sub another sweet juice of similar consistency or use water and add a pinch of extra sugar. )

No comments:

Post a Comment