Monday, October 1

Menu Idea Monday: Baked Oatmeal

A co-worker of my husband's sent a recipe home with him for Baked Oatmeal that she said was amazing. Being my nutritionally critical self, I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised - it's chock full of healthy things and has nothing cringe-worthy in it!

To be perfectly honest, I don't like baked oatmeal. It's a texture thing. But my husband liked it, and nutritionally I give it five stars. I pre-mixed the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another the night before so it literally took two minutes to get this in the oven in the morning. If you throw it in before you start getting ready, you can enjoy a hot healthy meal before heading out on a workday!

Notes:
1. Didn't take any pictures. Sorry. They always turn out badly anyway, so it's probably no loss. Lol.
2. This recipe was printed from the site Fitness Fruitcake according to the paper I was given, but I have been unable to get that site to load at all so I can't verify. So here's proper credit where it's due as best I can under the circumstances.

Baked Apple Oatmeal

2 cups oats
1/4 cup ground flax (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp apple butter (optional)
1 1/2 cups milk or water
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 apple, chopped
handful of almonds
cinnamon and nutmeg

Combine oats, flax, baking powder, salt and spices. In another bowl, combine remaining. Add to oat mix and stir well. Pour mix into greased dish. Bake at 375 for 15 min. Enjoy.

We made half this recipe and it served two, but your results might vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment