Tuesday, July 19

Renaissance Festival

At least one day a year, I ask myself the same question: why on earth did women ever give up corsets and peasant skirts for bras and jeans?

This past weekend was our annual excursion to the Sterling Renaissance Festival. It's one of the few things we have been able to consistently do for years, one of the fun traditions in our marriage. It's fascinating to watch the Faire evolve, and to measure the differences in ourselves as we make this favorite pilgrimage.

I got my hair braided again - I'm slowly working my way through all the styles in their design book. This is called an "S braid with details"; isn't it beautiful?! I don't have any pictures on hand of the front of my outfit, but you can see the back of my beloved black leather corset a little here.

Seriously, why did women give up Renaissance style clothing? Even if corsets aren't one's preference, there were boned bodices, corselettes, and comfy full skirts to enjoy! It always intrigues me that no matter what one's body type, Ren Faire clothing flatters and compliments fly.

The past couple years, we've been on the lookout for a dress for me that I could wear at the Faire and outside it. This year, we finally found the perfect one! No pics of me in it yet, so this is the one from the website. Instead of the color shown, however, mine is black brocade with burgundy roses - so gorgeous! Full steel boning in the bodice makes it self-supporting and burgundy grosgrain ribbon laces up the back for a perfect fit. Eric definitely spoils me!

Speaking of which, check out my handsome knight!


He looks good with a sword, doesn't he? (Incidentally, I love stopping by the smithys at the Faire. They "strongly encourage fondling the swords" and are often doing amusing things like brewing [read: boiling over] coffee on the forge while waiting for the steel to heat up.) This picture was taken outside the Starfire Swords booth.


This is my handsome Prince with Don Juan and Miguel. We see their show every year and I always appreciate how personable and down to earth they are. Never too busy to sign their dvds or t-shirts, always cheerful about requests for pictures and thoroughly engaging whether on stage or in person.

One of the things I like best about the Ren Faire, though, is the other visitors. It's the one place you never have to be shy about stopping someone to tell them how much you love their outfit or asking where they got it because you know they'll be happy to share.

You also see some of the most unique ideas out there! We had to stop this gentleman and get a picture - a Marine corps vet with a cammo kilt and traditional tankard to match his hat and combat boots. How fun is that!?

If you haven't been to the Faire, it runs weekends through August 21st - there's still time!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your hair!! I bet that you didn't want to unbraid that at all. The dress is gorgeous, too. I can't wait to see yours. By the way, your husband is VERY handsome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun. And your hair is amazing!

    ReplyDelete