Wednesday, January 26

Cookbook to Skip


I was really excited to check out this book and terribly disappointed when I got my hands on it.

There is no information in this book about how to sprout and grind your own grains; the author assumes you will use her proprietary flour blend. This rather baffles me, because if you know enough about grain to realize the health benefits of sprouting it, then you also presumably realize that flour starts losing its nutrient value almost immediately after grinding so you always want to grind your own as fresh as possible!

I was also under-whelmed by the recipe selection. For some reason a few standard recipes seem to be forever reworked and inevitably included in theme cookbooks, whether the theme be low-fat, GF, reduced-sugar, what have you: blueberry muffins, basic bread, coffee cake, cobbler, etc. If a cookbook isn't going to give me solid background on the process of doing something new, the least it could do would be to offer some enticing new recipes. Once I've mastered the skill, it's not really that hard to reverse engineer it into recipes I already have. I don't know anyone who needs six blueberry muffin recipes.

I'm pleased to see that sprouted baking has achieved enough visibility to have its own cookbook, but I highly recommend you pass this one up and wait for better.

No comments:

Post a Comment