Monday, April 22

Menu Idea Monday: Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls

A couple years ago we lived near a butcher shop that made it's own cabbage rolls. They were very good, but not cheap. I didn't know much about cabbage at that point, so I never attempted to make my own.

Recipe and photo from MelissaKNorris.com
When I ran across this recipe for Crockpot Cabbage Rolls, I figured it was worth a try. I put everything together the day before, dropped it in the crock pot insert and stuck it in the fridge. In the morning, I dropped it in the crock pot and crossed my fingers.

The verdict? Pretty good!

They taste a lot like the runza recipe I have and love, which is essentially all the same ingredients except that you dice the cabbage and wrap everything in pizza dough for a Hot Pocket effect. Eric and I both agreed that it needed something, though. I used twice as much onion as I was supposed to and it still came out somewhat bland. I also found a few not-quite-done pieces of rice, despite having it cooked it for 13 hours.

Next time I think I'll ladle the sauce across the bottom and between layers in the pot to ensure more even cooking for the rice. I'll also throw in some extra spices to give it more kick. Supposedly these freeze well, so I look forward to pre-making a bunch and throwing meal-sized batches in the freezer. Busy summer days of working outside ARE coming (despite the ridiculously lingering cold and wet of April), and I'll be greatful for cheap, healthy meals that go from freezer to crockpot without fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment