Friday, December 30

Unusual Appetizers

Even though I know they're good for me, I'm not much of a banana fan. The texture makes me want to gag, but I fare a little better when they're cooked. My husband, on the other hand, loves bananas, so when I saw Bacon-Banana Treats in a cookbook recently, I knew we had to try them.

They were fast and easy to put together, and quite yummy. I still couldn't do more than two because of the texture, but these are versatile enough that I think they'd be a great option for a party and equally appropriate for a fancy brunch.

The recipe notes suggest you can the same with fresh - but not canned - pineapple. As always, I suggest using nitrate-free bacon if at all possible.

Bacon Banana Treats

2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp grainy dark mustard
salt & pepper to taste
2 ripe but firm bananas
8 slices of bacon, cut in half

In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper until thickened. Cut each banana crosswise into 8 rounds, add the rounds to the marinade, stir gently to coat and let stand about 15 minutes

Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until half-cooked and drain on paper towels.

Preheat the over broiler.

Wrap each banana in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick soaked in water. Place on the rack of a broiler pan and broil 4 inches from the heat until bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve hot or at room temperature. 

1 comment: