Thursday, February 3

Recipes Quick Post

So, I'm trying to dig my way out of my suddenly enormous to-do list, but I wanted to share a couple recipes I've tried this week really quick. I've largely fallen back into my standard bad habit of living on pasta and other simple, starch based foods which tends to happen when I'm by myself. In an effort to combat that laxness, I picked a few recipes from the mountain that I have collected and made a point of trying a couple.

First up, Kettle Corn. I read this recipe twice before deciding it couldn't possibly work. Then I did it anyway because I had to know. It was so good! Important note: I used brown sugar and did not measure it, but it was definitely less than called for and still delectable. I also dropped the pot in the sink and filled it with soapy water immediately, which made clean up a snap.

Next, Italian Lentil and Barley Soup. I picked this recipe because it was a crock pot version and because it was pretty representative of several variations I've seen, all of which are pretty close with simple substitutions like rice instead of barley, etc. The cider vinegar was really key to giving this mix some flavor, but it still only ranked as okay. I'm keeping the recipe because it's a good baseline for proportions, but in the future I'll make a point of using something additional to impart the flavor impact the original is lacking - sausage, bacon or a very strong homemade stock would all do the trick.

This timing of this recipe experiment tied in nicely with the Skill of the Month over at the Survival Mom - February's skill is cooking with rice and beans! Hop over there if you get a chance and check out all the good stuff people are sharing.

For a fun snack with a bite, try these Chicken Garlic Bites. So good and ridiculously easy.

For a quick and easy meal with a ton of personality, try Thai Honey Peanut Chicken
over rice. It's great even if you don't let it marinate as long as it says to, and you can throw it over rice, quinoa or - if you plan ahead - it would be great with homemade naan bread.

Finally, since I have yet to master cooking fish in the traditional fashion (and really see no point in learning since my husband always does a to-die-for job of it) I branched out and tried Haddock & Broccoli Stew. Please note that you can sub out the stock if you don't have fish stock and it will still turn out deliciously! Pair this with a loaf of your favorite bread (or garlic bread) and you are good to go.

Wow, that was actually more new recipes than I realized ... that should jump start me out of my lazy routine! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment