Friday, February 11

Cookbooks

I've never been one to collect cookbooks, as I hate searching through a half dozen books for a recipe I know I saw and bookmarked somewhere but can never find when I want it. But I love perusing new cookbooks to see what treasures I can find and transplanting the newly found delectables into my own cookbook for future use. (Thank you to my amazingly patient husband who generously put together an index for me so my haphazard collection is actually functional.)

Fortunately for me, the library system here has a giant selection of cookbooks and is constantly getting new ones. This week two of the several I've requested came in and I was very pleased with both (that's a rare occurrence, picky as I am).

I was inspired to pick up 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans and Grains by Survival Mom's February challenge of expanding one's ability to cook with rice and beans. They're unfailingly listed as staple SHTF foods, and we all dutifully stock them, but how many ways do we really know to cook them in delicious and enjoyable ways? The answer is always "not enough" of course! I found a surprising number of great recipes in here, though, with no strange or expensive ingredients or special techniques necessary. Also fantastic is the glossary and basic cooking information on all beans and grains, so if you're new to cooking with beans or rice this is the place to start!

Speaking of beans recipes, I tried a to-die-for (and ridiculously easy) recipe for Tostados (southwest style egg rolls) this week that you must try. I used this recipe as a base but scaled back the amounts, used wonton wrappers instead of tortillas (didn't have any on hand) and skipped the dipping sauce. I also didn't fry them - just brush lightly with oil and bake them - they'll come out just as crispy and delicious!

My other find this week is the epitome of comfort food - The Country Cooking of Ireland. This book is not only gorgeous, but full of mouth watering recipes I can't wait to try. I think I might even be able to successfully cook fish with a couple of these recipes! Again, no special dishes or techniques necessary. With an eclectic combination of antique recipes, high end restaurant dishes and simple, hearty comfort food this has tons of potential. Except that I am currently out of potatoes, so I can't make half of them until I quit stalling and go grocery shopping. *sigh*

If you are looking to try something new in your cooking, or if you're just sick of the cold weather and looking for something rich and comforting (and not filled with the crap commercial foods contain) then snag these from your local library... or stick around because I'm sure I'll post some of the successful recipes I try on here.

As soon I go shopping.... note to self: get a root cellar so you can keep a year's worth of veggies on hand and not have to shop so often. Please and thank you. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment