Tuesday, October 12

Fermentation

My exploration into the world of real, whole food has led to an unexpected place... fermentation. It's been headed that way for a while, I suppose, with experiments in yogurt, cheesemaking and sourdough bread, but I have discovered those things to be only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to using natural fermentation to improve the taste and nutrition of food. I was very pleased to find this book, Wild Fermentation, by Sandor Ellix Katz. It's about the best primer there could be on the subject, and I look forward to more experimenting! If you've never wondered how to make your own yogurt, sourkraut, or kimchi then you can skip this and shake you head at my insanity. It's okay, I understand. But if you ever wanted to know what that stuff looked like before it ended up in a can on a shelf, this will be a real eye opener! Pass it on to the foodies in your life - they'll be much obliged!

PS - One of the best things about this book? The author maintains a website (here) with additional information and readily accepts questions and gives advice on readers' experiences with their own fermented cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment