Monday, August 27

Menu Idea Monday: Smothered Beef Burritos

Photo from the Food Pusher blog
It's been a long time since I've been to a really good Mexican restaurant. (Honestly, most of the restaurants out here are seriously lacking.) But we like good Mexican food, so I decided to try a very simple but yummy looking recipe off The Food Pusher blog.

I saw the recipe on Pinterest labeled Smothered Beef Burritos but they're listed as Chili Colorado Burritos on the blog.

Whatever you choose to call them, I highly recommend making them!

Opinion:
This was a great recipe - incredibly easy and different than anything else in my cookbook. I liked that it used stew beef; it was cheap but tasted rich and satisfying after simmering in a crockpot of enchilada sauce all day. (As an added bonus, the house smelled great!)

This took no time to throw in the crockpot in the morning and only a couple minutes to assemble and broil up at dinner time. It would be a fantastic meal for long, busy fall or winter days and can just as easily be made for one or two as for a crowd. I will definitely be keeping this and making it again!


My Modifications:
I made my own tortillas and enchilada sauce (can't buy either around here that aren't full of junk), and skipped the beef bullion in the crockpot because my sauce recipe is plenty rich enough already. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as directed.

Dietary Mod Friendly?
This is a pretty flexible recipe. If you don't eat beef you could sub in any meat you wanted and it would work out well. Gluten free tortillas would also be an easy sub-in, or you could skip the tortillas altogether and just pour the meat and sauce over rice. Other than that, there aren't any objectionable ingredients in here so dig in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment