Wednesday, August 15

Blue Star Museums

I had a “duh” moment recently when my husband and I went to the Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown. I love living history museums, and they were running a special Blacksmithing weekend that my husband was interested in checking out, so we made time to drive over. (Great museum, by the way; definitely recommend checking it out if you're ever in the area!)

When we got to the gate, my husband pulled out his military ID card since most museums have a military discount. The very nice lady behind the counter informed us that they're part of the Blue Star Museum program and we both got in for free! The irony, of course, is that the museum I volunteer at also is part of the BSM program and I should have known we'd qualify for free entry. Since I completely spaced it, I wanted to offer a reminder to anyone else out there who might qualify and not be aware!

The Blue Star Museum program is a collection of museums nationwide that offer free admission to active military and up to 5 family members from Memorial Day to Labor Day annually. Anyone in active duty, the Reserves, or National Guard qualifies. (You need a military ID or dependent card to show at the gate.) A list of participating museums and additional details can be found here.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic program that doesn't get nearly the press it should. Many military families aren't aware of it at all. I know it's the middle of August already, but the program runs every year. Will you consider passing the word along?

If you know anyone in the military, please forward them the website so they know. if you go to a museum and see that they participate, will you thank them? All museums appreciate feedback, especially when it's positive!

If you are military and haven't heard about this, shoot an email to your base PR person or whoever is in charge of sending out base-wide emails with a request that they circulate the info. Then stick a note on your calendar for next summer so you'll remember – unlike me!

No comments:

Post a Comment