Thursday, August 4

Youth Ministry

It was a provocative headline, and my curiosity was piqued: Modern Youth Ministry a '50-Year Failed Experiment,' Say Pastors.

By far the biggest news in the article was notice that the movie Divided has been posted for free viewing until September 15th!

If you have children or go to church at all, I strongly recommend checking out the movie. It's a documentary based on one man's search to find out why modern youth ministry, despite strong growth as a market and intensive focus, has such an abysmal success rate and what (if anything) churches can do about it. It isn't terribly long and contains interviews with some very well known and well respected authors, speakers and pastors.

Whether or not you agree with its premise or conclusions, the subject matter is obviously very pertinent and the hearts of those involved passionately sincere. The questions it poses are worthy of serious consideration and discussion.

I also recommend a post I read over a year ago that has stuck in the back of my brain ever since on the subject of children, faith and youth groups.

Please consider passing word along to the parents, youth and pastors in your circle - this movie is available for viewing free of charge for just over the next month. I think that no matter what conclusions people draw, we'll all be better off for having explored and discussed this topic!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to watch that this weekend. I grew up in church, and now have 4 children of my own, and children's and youth church programming is an issue my husband and I have wrestled with A LOT.

    I don't have any answers yet, but I am very interested in the discussion, and appreciate the resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to check this out-I have a PT job as Director of Children's Ministry at our church and have worked for years with senior high. Thanks for this resource!

    ReplyDelete